2015 Lyceum Music Festival in Midway, Utah
JULY 27 – AUG. 1, 2015
featuring piano sensation William Joseph
Sometimes all it takes to inspire a young musician is to find that role model who has “made it” and who is willing to help you find your own path to success. Lyceum Music Festival gives students 14 to 21 the rare opportunity to work with and perform alongside real music industry professionals. National recording artist and performer William Joseph joins the Festival’s world-class faculty from the Utah Symphony to prepare a professional quality concert including Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade and Saint-Saëns’ Danse Bacchanale alongside William Joseph’s version of Radioactive, Piano Fantasy, and Halo Theme Song. By the end of the week, participants will have been mentored by professional conductors, symphony players, chamber groups, and perform with our world-class guest artists!
This is not your factory-style music festival with hundreds of students ranging from intermediate to advanced. Students come from across the country to be a one of the 100 advanced students ages 14 to 21 accepted. The intense rehearsal schedule is broken up with fun activities including a pizza & swimming party, bonfire/skit night, organized volleyball and ultimate frisbee, tickets to see professional concerts as well as private performances and Q & A time with our sought-after guest artists. See the 2015 Schedule for the full details. Parents will be glad to know that we enforce a healthy honor code at the Festival that prohibits smoking, alcohol, and drugs. Requires modest dress, clean language, and strives to create an environment that is family friendly and allows students to openly live their religions. See more in Expectations and Standards (Appendix A) on the Online Registration page under Policy Agreements.
Participants have the option of commuting or staying on campus at the luxurious, four-diamond Zermatt Resort. Lyceum Music Festival participants are admitted by audition or invitation only. Returning students do not need to re-audition. See Getting Started for all the details.
YOU MAY ALREADY BE ELIGIBLE TO ENROLL
- Returning students proceed to Online Registration. Welcome back!
- If you are a member of the American Heritage Lyceum Philharmonic, proceed to Online Registration.
- If you participated in All-State Orchestra, forward your proof of participation (concert program) via email to LyceumMusicFestival@gmail.com.
- If you received an invitation letter or email, proceed to Online Registration.
- Students must be 14-21 years of age as of Aug 1st, 2015
ADMISSION VIA AUDITION
- Schedule a live audition with Festival Director Kayson Brown. Live auditions will be held at American Heritage School in American Fork, Utah. To schedule an audition time, email LyceumMusicFestival@gmail.com.
- Record your audition and load it to YouTube or Google Drive. Email the YouTube link to LyceumMusicFestival@gmail.com.
- Send in a DVD of your audition to:
American Heritage School
Lyceum Music Festival Auditions
736 North 1100 East
American Fork, Utah 84003
- Auditions should include your choice of major scale and a five minute solo. The scale should highlight your mastery of range and tone. Please play the maximum number of octaves you can play with good tone. The five minute solo or solo excerpt should demonstrate your strengths as a player, memorization preferred, accompaniment is optional. Percussionists must show proficiency on timpani and mallet instruments.
2015 INSTRUMENT AVAILABILITY
This is a symphonic orchestra festival. We have very limited openings for certain instruments and chairs are filled on a first come, first served basis. Please check below to see if there are still slots open in your instrument for 2015 prior to enrolling. Maximum Instrumentation (this will be updated as spots are filled):
- 1 Flute
- 2 Flute/Piccolo
- 1 Oboe – FILLED
- 1 Oboe/English Horn – FILLED
- 2 Clarinets (A & B-flat) – FILLED
- 2 Bassoons – ONE OPENING LEFT!
- 4 Horns
- 2 Trumpets – ONE OPENING LEFT!
- 3 Trombones
- 1 Tuba – FILLED
- 4 Percussion
- 1 Harp
- 36 Violins
- 16 Violas
- 16 Cellos
- 8 Basses
$500 – Includes all activities, rehearsals, concert tickets, and lunch Monday through Saturday. A non-refundable $150 deposit is collected at registration with the remainder due May 31st.
Food & Lodging
An optional Food & Lodging package is available for $425 per student. See Accommodations for all the details. Approximately half of all participants stay on-site at the luxurious Zermatt Resort. The other half commute from home or make their own food & lodging arrangements. All participants are provided lunch. Participants not on the food & lodging package are responsible for their own breakfast and dinner as well as transportation. Students have until May 31st to add or remove the Food & Lodging package. See FAQs.
Registration opens February 15th and is ongoing until filled. All new students must be officially accepted either by audition or invitation prior to registering. Once an instrument section is full, other applicants may be put on alternate status. See Getting Started for individual instrument availability or our Online Registration page to register.
LYCEUM MUSIC FESTIVAL YOUTH 2015
An all new music festival coming to you August 3-8 2015
The Lyceum Music Festival has an exciting option for talented young string players. String players ages 9-15 perform true symphonic masterworks with adult wind, brass and percussion. Each student receives instrument-specific instruction from a professional mentor and has the rare opportunity to play high level symphonic music.
All participants must meet the performance standards. Enrollment is limited and is on a first–come, first–served basis. Many instrument sections will fill quickly, so we encourage you to register early. Limited scholarships are available.
Lyceum Music Festival Youth participants are admitted by audition or invitation only. Click HERE for all the details.